Friday, October 7, 2011

Values is a dirty word.

Today I caught myself viscerally reacting to this Gallup statistic.  I felt that this was good and right and damn those people who think the government should espouse values!  I should be the one to decide what I think is right and wrong and screw the government for trying to push me in this or that direction!

Indeed, I really do not think that the government should seek to force someone to believe in God, or tell me I can marry her and not him, or that this group deserves more rights than that one over there.  I do not believe that they should tell me if I can drink alcohol, smoke tobacco or marijuana, or that even though I happily do not commit murder and understand that it is a law that SHOULD BE FOLLOWED, they can do it and not only ignore the ethical arguments against premeditated killing, but refuse to show us their Constitutional reasoning (which is a double sham, given their obvious attempt to ignore the fact that they broke the law of the land and the fact that their reasoning is probably a pile of horseshit).  But that is a different story, and I end that rant now.

The real point of this monologue is the gut check I endured a few moments after I thought about my reaction to Gallup's poll.  I do not recant what I said moment ago, but still, I do believe that values exist, and that when we act and live according to positive values, our lives are happier and the world is better.  Damnit all, I often argue that a big problem today is the decline of values in today's society!  So where does this dichotomous view come from?

I think that when we hear the word values in public discourse today, we think gay marriage, Don't Ask, Don't Tell (and I know I am among quality folk when I say good riddance with that legal clap-trap), religion in schools, abortion, divorce...I could go on and on and on.  And yes, all of these involve values.  The way I live my life, the way you live your life, the way Sam on the corner spends her day and Mike at the grocery spends his is all tied to our values.

But when it comes down to it, what do I value most?  I would say freedom, or the ability to live my life as well as I am able, according to my abilities.  Now this freedom is composed of rights and responsibilities.  A key responsibility is recognizing the freedom of others, and respecting their right to live their life in a similar manner.  This is the basis for respect and courtesy.  Why do I get annoyed when someone does not treat me with respect?  Because they are violating the above responsibility; they are telling me I am not their equal. This is obviously a simplistic and superficial example of ethical action, but hey, if you think about it, acting decently isn't rocket science!

So given that, why should I concern myself with someone who lives a lifestyle that I would not choose to live?  I am happily heterosexual and dating men does not appeal to me in the least.  Regardless, if I have to choose between being friends with the friendly gay dude across the street or the straight asshole down the hall, I will pick the gay guy every time.  Reverse their attitudes, and reverse my decision. So even though some of our values are obviously different, there are some that outweigh others.

Decency and courtesy, a solid work ethic, tolerance, individuality, community spirit...these and more are values that have made our country great.  When we think of values and think of state coercion, of limiting others rights, we allow ourselves to lose an important battle.  If we reject the importance of them, and cede value based arguments to the side of the oppressors, we will get tyranny, from both the left and the right. Value freedom, and live it.  Do not sacrifice the moral high ground, and do not fall prey to the morass of subjective, relativistic, valueless thought that is the hall-mark of so many people and politicians. 

Once we forget that to value something is to hold it important, to cherish it and to fight for it, we can no longer strive for greatness.  If we can not strive for greatness, then we are doomed to triviality and tyranny.

No comments:

Post a Comment